July Garden

There is a point in midsummer where the garden suddenly changes. The spring greens are long gone and a unified summer green emerges. The once emerald lawn has now lost its luster. My friend Mermer recently said about this that, “the garden has lost its innocence!”  And I have to say, I agree with her.

But there is some consolation to be had in the late flowering perennials that bring much needed intensity of color to the garden. Some of those July/August stars are: daylily-Ice Carnival, drumstick alliums, sanguisorba obtusa, salvia amethyst, campanula, and hydrangea Annabel with its chartreuse flowers turning white. Beyond the garden the seed heads of the meadow grasses have turned a warm pink which clashes nicely with the green foliage of the many meadow perennials. Thanks again to David J. Turan for his wonderful photos.

Russian Hollyhocks, drumstick alliums, salvia amethyst

Russian Hollyhocks, drumstick alliums, salvia amethyst

The July Border

The July Border

Knauticamacedonica blloms throughout summer far right and Clematis Polish Spirit and Duchess of Albany

Knautica macedonica blooms throughout summer far right and Clematis Polish Spirit and Duchess of Albany

sanguisorba obtusa

sanguisorba obtusa

plumbago , geraniums, scaevola and lavender in pots on terrace

plumbago , geraniums, scaevola and lavender in pots on terrace

Hydrangea Annabel

Hydrangea Annabel

Seed heads of native grasses have  turned a dusty pink in  meadow

Seed heads of native grasses have turned a dusty pink in meadow

Gallery | This entry was posted in The Flowering Border and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to July Garden

1. James Golden says:

Yes, I like the lost innocence metaphor. This heat has really put the garden (mine) into high speed. Plants are flowering, running through their mormally slower progress, at high speed. I don’t know quite what to expect if we don’t get a period of lower temperatures. I love Sanguisorbas, but don’t have that one.

• Don Statham says:

James We are about 12- 15 degrees cooler now and the week ahead looks cloudy with possible sporadic showers. It was so cool last night I went for a 2nd blanket and had images of fall in my head!

2. marjorie says:

And don’t forget the fabulously opulent Oriental Lilies, tall and extravagant, filling the air with heady perfumes!

3. Deirdre says:

In Seattle, it stops raining sometime in May, and we get no significant rain until October. In July, the Emerald City turns turns into the Amber City. Your grass looks plenty green to me.

My oriental lilies should be opening soon. I adore them.

• Don Statham says:

Hi Deirdre- I am originally from Oklahoma- same thing with the grass turning BROWN in July- August- September! I guess everything is relative. We have had an unusual wet summer in spite of the last 10 days of high temperatures. My vegetable garden just started to grow last week! I think my lilies are in too much shade!

4. Julia says:

The meadow looks so appealing! It’s a beautiful counterpoint to the opulence of the garden proper.

5. AC says:

So beautiful. Thanks for the garden-spiration.